The name Pirnmill is not based not on Gaelic or Viking roots but is very practically named after the mill that made pirns (wooden bobbins) for Clarks (latterly Coates) of Paisley. The mill, which was powered by a waterwheel, operated from 1780-1840 and ceased to function when the source of wood ran out Pirnmill is flanked by satellite clachans: Lenimore, Thunderguy and Auchamore to the north, and Altgolach, Whitefarland, Banliken and Imacher, to the south.
Amenities Include; Peaceful village with a wonderful shore line of rocks and sandy beaches, Access to grand Arran walks along the ridges of Beinn Bharrain and to the sheltered tranquility of Coirein Lochain, A prime spot to watch the magnificent sunsets over the Mull of Kintyre.
Pirnmill is a peaceful village with a wonderful shore line of rocks and sandy beaches, with access to some grand walks along the ridges of Beinn Bharrain and to the sheltered tranquility of Coirein Lochain, and is a prime spot to watch the magnificent sunsets over the Mull of Kintyre.
The original settlement of Penrioch (the brindled penny land) sprawled along the braes above the shore. In its heyday there were an astonishing number of clachans and cottages scattered along the hillside from Altgolach to Penrioch to Auchamore and beyond.
All that remains today of many of these homes are tumbled grey stone walls filled with the silence of memories. In the early days the villagers made a living from fishing, crofting, some illicit distilling and smuggling, and later on when the larger homes were built along the shore, from catering to the visitors. For many years Pirnmill was a lively holiday centre with tennis courts, putting green, golf course and ceilidhs in what is now the Lighthouse Tearoom.
Before the building of the pier at Lochranza and the introduction of bus services, the steamers stopped at Pirnmill and the visitors were ferried ashore by boat. In the 1940’s and ‘50’s the buses did a lively trade ferrying people to and from the steamer at Lochranza and to dances and the ”pictures” in Lochranza Hall.
Houses have now been built on the site of the putting green, the site of the tennis courts is still obvious and if you look carefully around Penroich you can still see signs of tees from the golf course.