The modern village of Brodick has grown and expanded over the years. Arran’s first pier was built here in 1872. The Golf Club celebrated its Centenary in 1997. Brodick Hall was opened in 1895 with money raised by the Brodick Public Hall Company Limited. Generations of visitors and locals cherish fond memories of that old hall which is still the venue for concerts and dances and community activities, with the added bonus of the new library.
Changes continue. Tides are higher and the beach is much smaller. No room now for the bathing huts which used to line the beach, their arrival heralding the beginning of the season and their removal, the end. Some buildings have disappeared, such as Cora Linn, which was Adolph Ribbeck’s shop and home, and in its place a development of modern homes. Across the bay the castle still stands and the magnificent view remains the same.
Brodick is the main ferry terminal for the island and the view of the mountains as seen from the ferry as she sails into the bay is second to none. Some find Brodick busy, but after the last ferry has left a peace settles on the village and nothing can surpass the calm of a summer evening in Brodick with the sea, the beach and the mountains. Brodick Golf Course and Club with its own Professional golfer are very popular. The Arran Golf pass to play all 7 of Arran’s courses is a good buy and check out www.visitarran.com for lots more information.